Saturday, April 09, 2011

In A Chinese Garden

The following write-up was written by Dr.Frederic Loomis - an obstetrician and gynecologist. In 1938, after 21 years of practice, he put aside his forceps and took up his pen. "In a Chinese Garden" is the story of a letter that completely changed his way of life, and which has since changed the lives of many others in all parts of the world.

At a time and age when most of us keep postponing all the things that we would love to do - to some time later, the message in this letter is timeless. I do hope this letter inspires you to live your best life. Read on...

I have told many times the story of a certain letter, which I received years ago, because the impression it made on me was very deep. And I have never told it, on ships in distant seas or by quiet firesides nearer home, without a reflective, thoughtful response from those around me. The letter:

Peking, China

Dear Doctor,
Please dont be too surprised in getting a letter from me. I am signing only my first name. My surname is the same as yours.

You wont even remember me. Two years ago I was in your hospital under the care of another doctor. I lost my baby the day it was born.

That same day my doctor came in to see me, and as he left he said, "Oh, by the way, there is a doctor here with the same name as yours who noticed your name on the board, and asked me about you. He said he would like to come in to see you, because you might be a relative. I told him you had lost your baby and I didn't think you would want to see anybody, but it was alright with me."

And then in a little while, you came in. You put your hand on my arm and sat down for a moment beside my bed. You didn't say much of anything but your eyes and your voice were kind and pretty soon I felt better. As you sat there I noticed that you looked tired and that the lines in your face were very deep. I never saw you again but the nurses told me you were in the hospital practically night and day.

This afternoon I was a guest in a beautiful Chinese home here in Peking. The garden was enclosed by a high wall, and on one side, surrounded by twining red and white flowers, was a brass plate about two feet long. I asked someone to translate the Chinese characters for me. They said:

ENJOY YOURSELF

IT IS LATER THAN YOU THINK

I began to think about it for myself. I had not wanted another baby because I was still grieving for the one I lost. But I decided that moment, that I should not wait any longer. Perhaps it may be later than I think, too.

And then, because I was thinking of my baby, I thought of you and the tired lines in your face, and the moment of sympathy you gave me when I so needed it. I dont know how old you are but I am quite sure you are old enough to be my father; and I know that those few minutes you spent with me meant little or nothing to you of course - but they meant a great deal to a woman who was desperately unhappy.

So I am so presumptuous as to think that in turn I can do something for you too. Perhaps for you, it is later than you think. Please forgive me, but when your work is over, on the day you get my letter, please sit down very quietly, all by yourself, and think about it.

Marguerite

No comments: