Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Baby, enjoy the babydom!

“Be careful of what you talk to your child – it shapes her future personality”. This ominous piece of advice from a well-meaning relative got me all tied up in knots.

Much as I love my little daughter, I find it really difficult to speak anything remotely intelligent to her at this stage. I mean, seriously – what can I speak “intelligently” to a squealing kid who is rejoicing in the recent discovery of her vocal chords by making the most weird of noises by herself?

The following day, I decided to start a close observation – I stationed myself strategically on the sofa, as others in the family – apparently more experienced – made conversation with the little one. “Thayya Thayya Thayya!” “Thayya Thayya Thayya!” ……. That’s my Mom, speaking to her

As if in response, Mehr – held by her arm pits, bounces up and down her lap with an utterly gleeful look on her face. The duet goes on and on and on…… till my Mom tires!

Baby is now laid out horizontally – a position she does not particularly appreciate. And she makes it known quite quickly. “Aaaaaaeeeennnn….” Her siren goes off.

This time it’s the turn of my wife – trying to make her smile once again. “Prrrrrrrrrrrrrrr” she goes, her lips blubbering

Baby smiles again. Mission accomplished. But the blubbering cannot stop. Else the baby siren will go off again. And so for the next 15 minutes, baby continues to hear the funny sound “Prrrrrrrr” – and the oh-so-adorable smiles keep coming

Soon though, my wifes lips turn dry. Afterall one can “Prrrrrrrr” only to an extent

Before baby can realize what is happening, her mother makes a quick exit after placing baby on the baby gym that was presented to her

For a little while, peace reigns as Mehr seems lost with the hanging dragon. Pulling at it – watching it closely. But finally, as is her wont now-a-days with every object near her, she targets to eat it. She tries to nibble at it with her toothless mouth – lets out a long sigh of despair – and then learns a priceless lesson: “Plastic – not edible”!.... and soon the siren goes off again….. "Aaaaaaaaeeeennnnnn!”…. this time though its accompanied by thrashing feet… poor dragon

It’s the turn of my Dad now.

“Ululululululululu”, “Ululululululululu”……. He carries her high above his head. The new point of view stops Mehr in her siren wail mid stream….. she considers her surroundings… and slowly, very slowly – a smile creeps up her lips. The whole family lets out a sign of relief…… “ooooooo” baby is smiling agan!

“Ululululululululu”, “Ululululululululu”………..

“Ululululululululu”, “Ululululululululu”…….

But like “Prrrrrrrrrr” one can “Ululululululululu”, “Ululululululululu” also only upto an extent. Dad soon tires. From the corner of his eye he perhaps spotted me watching …. being a bit too relaxed.

“Going to papa, baby?” he asks.

Baby – who actually did not really have a choice – soon lands in my hands. The evidence of the last 30 odd minutes was seriously worrisome to me. Forget about speaking intelligently, the only noises my daughter was hearing consisitently were the “Thaiyya Thaiyya Thaiyya!”, “Prrrrrrrrrrrrr” and the “Ululululululululu”. What effect would these have on her development, I wondered? Add to this, the fact that unike most religious minded mothers who read sacred books and hear Bhajans during the pregnancy period, my wife completed the full Asterix & Obelix series during the same period – I had some serious cause for worry. “What are we doing to this little kid?”, I wondered!

We considered each other closely. She seems to have a look that seems to say, “Well, whats the funny noise this guy is going to make now?” ….. I hold my nerve. I am just thinking, “Don’t cry baby”, “Don’t cry baby”, “Don’t cry baby”!

Surprisingly it works!.... Maybe the baby understands telepathy????

Whatever it is – she suddenly gets all occupied with a button on my T-shirt….. “goo….. goooo… guuh” she is speaking to herself. By now – there is nobody around. Its just me and baby on the sofa with her in my arms. I look around stealthily to make sure there is nobody in earshot. Then I whisper slowly to baby ears.

“Baby…. World economic situation – not too good. Gets me a bit worried on impact to our business.” Then a quick aside – “don’t worry that will not impact your milk and cerelac supply”.

“Anna Hazare – fasting again soon”… I cannot resist a chuckle.

“Pakistan in bad shape too…. Don’t know for sure where that will end up”!

“By the way, India doing good in cricket”, “But sachin still not getting his 100th ton”!

Baby turns her head suddenly and looks at me directly in the eye. “My goodness, does she really understand all that?” I wonder. But the bottom line is – she has not cried for a while, since she has come to me.

Suddenly, my wife comes back again – this time with a bottle of cerelac in hand. I stop my conversation – baby also turns her head and watches the new development.

“How come she is so peaceful?”, my wife asks?

“Just happy with her Papa, I guess”, I say. As if to reconfirm that, baby suddenly unleashes one of her biggest smiles. My wife picks her up from my hands.

“You will be fine baby – you will be just fine!” I think….. “if you can enjoy all the “Thaiyya Thaiyya Thaiyya!”, “Prrrrrrrrrrrrr” and the “Ululululululululu”….. and then also hear out all the 9’o’clock news items I whispered, calmly – you will be just fine!”

Play & serious thought can be two sides of the same coin. I hope you realize this as you grow up.

Until then baby - just enjoy the babydom!

1 comment:

Ramgopal Vallath said...

Roon,
First of all, the baby is really cute. Good job done!!!
I used to tell my daughter lots and lots of stories when she was very small. I also made sure there was so much animation. she used to be transfixed. Once when she was 2, she turned around and asked me "Acham, where do human beings come from? I gave her a small capsule on evalution, rounding up with that is how the present humans came into being. She looked at me and said "you mean, Homosapiens?" I was floored. There is no underestimating how much these kids can learn