Tuesday, September 12, 2006

The Journey Is The Destination

This was a poem that I had written for my wife when we were in college. We were very much in love with each other, but being two such different people, we did take our time to find a common tune. This was on one such occassion when we had moved apart - and were tentatively trying to find a way back again...to each other.

If I am I,
And You are you,
Yet in being so,
If I am hurting you,
Should the change be in me ?
Or should it be in you ?

Is this 'compromising' ?
Or is it 'adjusting' ?
Or are these just two complex words,
To indicate we are 'changing' ?

Two people haven't loved,
Who haven't fought before.
There never was a love,
That didn't hurt before.

Perhaps in so 'changing',
We discover ourselves once more,
Moving beyond the "You" and "I",
To find "Us" for evermore.

3 comments:

chandra said...

Many years ago, i had read a poem by Lin Yutang.It was something like this :

Take some clay,
Make an image of you.
Take some clay,
Make an image of me.
Break the image of you,
Break the image of me.
Mix the clay.
And now , make an image of you,
and make an image of me;
then , in You, there will be a little of me,
and in me, there will be alittle of me.

Roon said...

Hi Chandra - its such a beautiful poem. Thanks for sharing the same. The last line though, I think should have been...."And in me, there will be a little of you"

Hello, My Goodbye said...

wow that was really nice. i loved how you said Two people haven't loved, Who haven't fought before. that's so true.
you are a very talented writer and it seems you can go back into your past very easily. i like your blog ALOT! i will definately come back.